Summer is already upon us, and the best way to enjoy is by eating yum food outside. Here’s our take on popular recipe that’s been doing the blog circuit lately: Fish Tacos. The recipe is in two parts: preparing the fish, and assembling the taco. While the ingredients list looks daunting, it’s really simple taken step by step. And at the end of the day you’re rewarded with creamy deep fried comfort food that at least looks mildly healthy and tastes the bomb!
Recipe: Fish Tacos
For the sauce
1/4 cup plain yoghurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon minced jalapenos
1/2 teaspoon minced capers
Use 3 tsp of Regency Tacos Seasoning, or make a simple version of your own:
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
– Oil for deep frying
– 1/2 pound cod fillets, cut into portions
– Little bit of flour
– 4 corn tortillas
– 1 cup shredded cabbage
– Few pieces of sliced avocados (optional)
1. First combine all the dry batter ingredients
2. Then gradually add in the egg and beer, while stirring well. Mix until combined, a few lumps are ok. Keep aside.
3. Now for the sauce. Mix together the yoghurt, mayonnaise and lime juice. This mixture should be a little bit runny but still thick.
4. Add in the rest of the sauce ingredients and mix well. Taste and add more garlic / onion if necessary.
5. Heat oil in a deep saucepan or deepfryer. Test the oil is hot by adding in a few drops of water, it should immediately crackle. If you can control the temperature, you’re looking for about 190C.
6. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on each fish portion, then dip one by one into the batter and fry until crispy brown.
7. Drain the fish on paper towels.
8. While they’re draining, gently heat the tortillas on a dry frying pan for about 20-30 seconds each.
9. To serve, add the shredded cabbage and sliced avocado in each tortilla, then place a fried fish and cover with the sauce.