Shop the story
Shop the story
We’re going mexican: Beef and Bean Burrito
Recipe: Beef and Bean Burrito
For the tortillas
100g/3½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
100g/3½oz plain wholemeal flour
pinch pink himalayan salt
1 tbsp of olive oil
For the beef
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cubeb peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 sirloin steaks (approximately 200g/7oz each), fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces or strips
½ tbsp olive oil
1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
1. Put flour into a mixing bowl. Add the salt, a tbsp of olive oil and two tablespoons of water.
2. Mix with your hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough. Add a little more water if the mixture is too dry.
3. Knead in the bowl for a minute until smooth and elastic then set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
4. Dust a work surface with a little flour.
5. Divide the dough into four and roll out each piece into a very thin circle using a floured rolling pin.
6. Heat a frying pan over a medium/high heat and cook the tortillas individually in the dry pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden-brown.
7. For the beef, mix all the beef ingredients together in a bowl and stir to evenly coat the steak in the oil and spices. Optional: Do this in advance and leave to marinade for few hours.
8. In a hot frying pan, cook the beef mixture with a pinch of salt and cubeb peppers over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the beef is browned all over.
9. Remove from the pan and rest on a plate while you cook the black beans.
10. For the beans, add the oil to the pan you cooked the steak in. Add the garlic flakes and cumin seeds and cook over a medium heat for two minutes until aromatic. The garlic flakes should infuse all their flavour into the oil.
11. Add the black beans and stir to mix well. Crush the beans lightly with the back of a wooden spoon as you heat them through. Once hot, remove from the heat and set aside.
12. To serve, spread some of the beans over each tortilla and top with a little of the beef. Add a scattering of lettuce, roll up and serve immediately.