In India, a burger almost rarely means “with meat” – quite the contrary to the rest of the world! India has historically been known for it’s high vegetarian population, and the influence has stretched deep into the western burger. Instead of going the “mock meat” route, Indian burgers are very different. They showcase the freshness of the vegetables and spices used, and it ends up like almost eating a curry transformed into the shape of a burger patty. Call it one of the earlier forms of haute cuisine if you will! This burger patty is very down to the earth, filling and wholesome. The Garam Masala brings an eclectic spiciness to it, and you can also experiment by using Tandoori Masala instead. Sometimes we optionally also add some mashed soft tofu to help bind the patty more tightly, but this is entirely up to you.
Recipe: Veggie Cutlets
- 2 large potatoes, boiled with skin
- 10 french beans finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/2 of a beetroot, grated
- 1 cup of green peas boiled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger grated
- Small bunch coriander leaves finely chopped (around 10g)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs for coating
- 1-1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Oil for deep frying
- (Optional) 30g mashed soft tofu
- Peel the boiled potatoes and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When it turns golden, add grated ginger and finely chopped onion.
- Fry for about a minute and add grated carrot, beetroot and finely chopped french beans.
- Add garam masala, Himalayan salt, chilli powder and cook for about 10 mins on a low to medium flame.
- Add boiled potatoes, boiled and drained green peas, lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and mash well together.
- Mix in the optional soft tofu here if using
- Roll out into small rounds about the size of a ping pong ball, roll in the breadcrumbs, flatten slightly or make heart or oval shape and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- When the oil is really hot or slightly smoking, fry cutlets 2-3 at a time and fry until golden. Drain out the excess oil and serve hot with Mint chutney or ketchup.
- Another option is to use as a patty for a veggie burger!
photo: Miikka H