Recipe: Sumac fries!
Sumac is a spice staple for anyone who likes to cook with middle eastern flavours, but it doesn’t have to be restricted to just that. Sumac is a tart, sour, salty spice grown in turkey and other parts of the mediterranean. It’s almost always used ground, and pairs deliciously with breads and salads much like a good aged vinegar. Here’s a really simple way to see the wonders of Sumac on a truly humble food: the potato.
Recipe: Sumac Oven Fries
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Peel the potatoes, and then slice into 1/2 inch strips. You can cut smaller if you like thinner fries, in which case bake for less time.
3. Toss the chips with olive oil, the salt, garlic and ground black pepper. You might need to use your fingers to get them completely coated.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, remove and mix the potatoes again, and bake for another 15 minutes.
5. Test to see doneness, they should be very soft but also crispy. You may need to add for a few more minutes.
6. When the fries are done, remove from the oven and toss with the sumac.
7. Serve hot!