I have been to Okinawa only once, and that was when I had just broken up with my first relationship (hahaha, I wanted to enjoy life even though I was still sad, so I chose to travel alone. While I was there, I tried local cuisines such as Okinawa soba and goya chanpuru. I also tried yummy sweets, sata andagi. They were so good. But taco rice! I missed taco rice while I was there. So I cooked my own version when I came back. Different households have a different way of cooking taco rice. Many people use lettuce and ketchup. Some add a fried egg while others use sour cream on top. This is how I cooked spicy taco rice last night using Regency’s tacos seasoning.
Tips: (1) Adjust the amount of fresh chili or cayenne pepper to create the hotness you desire. (2) I combined tomato mixture into the cooked beef at stage 3, but it’s perfectly alright not to and serve them directly on top of cooked beef.
- 4 cherry tomatoes (sweeter the better)
- 10cm cucumber (I used Korean cucumber)
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ fresh green chili (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Regency Fisherman’s seafood spices (this is to add lemony herb)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ onion
- 130g ground beef
- 2 teaspoon Regency Tacos seasoning
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mince the garlic and chili, cut the tomatoes into 1cm cubes and shred the cucumber. Combine them in a cooking bowl and add the cayenne pepper, Regency’s fisherman’s seafood spices and lemon juice. Toss and let it sit in the refrigerator.
- Mince the onion and cook over medium fire until transparent. Add the beef and cook until meat is no longer red. Add the Regency’s tacos seasoning and stir to mix. Then add the tomato paste and mix. Once mixed, add the salt and black pepper. Stir and reduce the fire to the lowest.
- Bring out the tomato mixture from the refrigerator and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix and then add to the cooking pan. Stir to combine with beef. Taste to see if you need more salt or not. (Once mixed, it’s done as you don’t want to cook tomato mixtures.)
- Serve over cooked rice and enjoy your tacos rice