This pumpkin pie recipe is our true favourite: the first time we made it we could smell it from a distance, and from the very first time ever – the pie tasted even better than it smelled! Every nuance in the pumpkin pie spices can be tasted, and they match beautifully with the sweet earthiness of fresh pumpkins. The recipe takes a while, but is guaranteed to go down a storm when done. This pie is a perfect treat for the Halloween festivities.
Recipe: Pumpkin Pie
For the dough:
200 g of Flour
80 g Butter
80 g Sugar
½ tablespoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
For the filling:
120 g Sugar
50 g Flour
1 teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spices
1. Sieve the flour for the dough together with the baking powder and the salt.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes and add them to the flour and mix it by hand. At this point the dough will have a crumbly texture.
3. Add the egg and the sugar and mix everything well.
4. Put the mixture into cling foil and leave it in the fridge for about 20 min.
5. Wash and peel the pumpkin, then cut into small cubes.
6. Sprinkle the pumpkin cubes lightly with some of the sugar and put in the oven for 25 to 30 min until the pumpkin cubes soften, then take them out and leave them to cool.
7. Take the dough out of the fridge (from step 4) and roll the dough into a thin crust.
8. Cover the bottom of a pan (we used a 24cm springform pan) with baking paper.
9. Cut out some dough to line the bottom of the pan, and use the leftover dough to cover the sides.
10. Stir the eggs, milk, sugar, flour and pumpkin pie spice mix in a mixer.
11. Squash the baked pumpkin and add it to the mixture. Mix again until well mixed and pour it on top of the dough.
12. Preheat the oven to 170C and bake for 20 min, afterwards reduce the temperature to 150C and leave it for another 20 to 25 min.
14. We prefer this pie served cold.