Recipe: Chole Masala (Indian Cooking)
Chole Masala is one of the more popular North Indian dishes, and also relies heavily on traditional Indian cooking techniques. Also known as “Garbanzo beans” or “Chickpeas”, this recipe for Chole Masala is the result of layering spice upon spice to produce a rich, flavourful curry. Garbanzo beans are also highly nutritious. As a member of the legume family, they are highly recommended for optimizing health and preventing disease by the American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association and American Cancer societies. Rehydrating dried beans is always going to be more healthy and flavourful, but this recipe can be sped up by using canned garbanzo beans too.
1 cup / 250g of Garbanzo Beans pre-soaked for 8-10 hours and boiled with a pinch of salt until nice and soft. (Use tinned Garbanzo beans if in a hurry)
2 medium sized Tomatoes, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
10g Regency Channa Masala
1 tbsp Cooking Oil
1 tsp of pink himalayan salt
1 sliced Green Chilli for garnish (optional)
Thinly sliced onion for garnish (optional)
1 tsp of fresh Coriander Leaves for garnish (optional)
Serves 4. Time: 40 minutes.
1. Heat oil in a large pan.
2. Fry the finely chopped onion and ginger for about 2-3 mins.
3. Then add chopped tomatoes and fry until they are soft.
4. Add the Channa Masala and fry for a minute more.
5. Add the boiled garbanzo beans, salt and mix well.
6. Cook for about 20-25 mins until all spices are well blended in with the beans.
7. Remove from heat, and top with garnishes. Serve hot with rice, bread or extra large Puri or Bhatura.
Photo credit: Divya Kudua