Carrot Halwa recipe
Carrot Halwa is a popular Indian dessert. Don’t be fooled by the name, it’s still very fattening and high in calories, but absolutely delicious when done right. Our family recipe includes saffron and mixed nuts which really lift the Halwa from being an ordinary version into an exotic one. Each mouthful will leave you wanting more!
Recipe: Carrot Halwa
2 cups carrots, grated
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachio)
5-6 cardamom seeds, pounded
1 tsp Ghee (use butter as a substitute)
approx 10 strands of Saffron
1 tsp warm water
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter or ghee, add grated carrots and lightly toast for about 5-10mins. until you can smell the lovely aroma of carrots.
2. Add milk and cook on medium heat stirring every few minutes to ensure even cooking.
3. Mix saffron in a teaspoon of warm water, this brings out the colour and flavour.
3. Add chopped nuts, Saffron, Cardamom Seeds and cook for 2 mins.
4. When milk has completely evaporated, add sugar, mix well, and cook on medium fire, stirring until sugar evaporates and blends completely with the carrots.
5. Serve the Carrot Halwa hot or cold.