This is an all-time favorite when we have friends or family during wet and cold weekends when all we want is to sit at home, do as little as possible and still get to enjoy! Hot crispy pakoras with a warm cup of drink and you are ready for watching a movie or listening to old time favorite music. The combination of crispy mung dal, chilli powder, lemon and ginger makes it so good, that we as kids always wanted more and more of them.
Recipe: Dal Pakoras (Lentil Fritters)
Servings: Makes around 20 pakoras.
– 125g Yellow Split Lentils (Mung Dal), cleaned and soaked for at least 2 hours
– 1 large carrots, roughly chopped
– 4 french beans, roughly chopped
– Small piece of cabbage, roughly chopped
– 1/2 tsp ginger powder
– 0.5 piece of green chilli
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
– 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
– 1 tsp lemon juice
– Oil for deep frying
1. Drain all the water from the pre-soaked dal and coarsely grind together all ingredients into a thick paste, the mixture should not become too fine and even.
2. Beat the batter very well until all ingredients are well infused.
3. Heat oil in a pan until it begins to slightly smoke. Use a tablespoon to scoop out the batter and place each spoonful individually in the hot oil for the batter to fry.
4. Keep about 8-10 in a pan and keep turning until all the fritters are a crispy golden in color.
5. Drain out onto an absorbent paper and continue until all batter is used up.
4. Serve hot with your favorite dip (ketchup/chilli sauce goes well too).