In the year Japan was struck with Tohoku-Kanto Earthquake, I was living in Tokyo. I used to go to Ueno Park often for a stroll and whenever I got hungry, I went into Hard Rock Cafe located in Ueno station. I always ordered the same dish, Nachos. The combination of crispy corn tortilla with slightly hot tomato salsa and melted cheese on top was a treat for me. It was one of the dish I had missed from the United States. Whenever my father bought tortilla chips and tomato salsa, they were gone in few days because I couldn’t stop eating it! So here is a quick way to make tomato salsa using fresh tomatoes at home 😉
Tips: (1) For smoother texture, I’d recommend using a food processor to puree. (2) To make nachos with this, bake corn tortilla chips with jack or cheddar cheese until the cheese melts and top with your homemade tomato salsa. Serve with seasoned beans, sour cream or guacamole.
Recipe: Tortilla Chip Dip
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp yidu chilli flakes or powder
- ¼ onion
- ¼ bell pepper
- A handful of fresh coriander
- 2 large fresh tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ to 1 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- ½ whole lime, or substitute for ½ tsp dried lime powder
- Mince the garlic, onion, bell pepper and coriander. Dice the tomatoes into 1cm cubes.
- Combine them in a bowl and add the chillies, cumin and salt.
- Squeeze in the lime and mix. Adjust the amount of salt and lime according to your taste.
- Dip in tortilla chips and enjoy your homemade tomato salsa!
This article was written by Chia.
I’m a freelance translator with background in biology. Upon meeting my future husband in Spain, I moved to Hong Kong to start our lives together. I’m still exploring what Hong Kong has got to offer
You may also like:
Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or subscribe below for more knowledge about spices.