A few weeks ago, when I told my friend that I’d be writing recipe articles for Regency Spices, her immediate reaction was, “It must be difficult to come up with a recipe everyday using spices. I don’t even know how to use star anise!” Star anise. Yes, star anise, a lovely looking star shaped fruit, is not a common spice in everyday cooking. In Sichuan where my husband is originally from, star anise is used frequently including their famous Sichuan hot pot. But for now, for my friend and those who love sweets, I like to share one easy dessert recipe using star anise. Star anise produces distinctive sweet aroma and has a bit of bitterness. So one star anise is enough for this milky dessert. I hope you will enjoy 😉
Photo: Sincerely Fiona
Recipe: Star Anise Panna Cotta
- 5g gelatin powder
- 3 tablespoon water
- 300ml whole milk
- 200m cream
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 1 star anise
- In a small cup, dissolve the gelatin powder in the water and set aside.
- Combine the milk, cream, sugar and star anise in a cooking pot. Heat over low fire to dissolve the sugar. Do not boil.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off the fire and add the gelatin solution. Stir to mix. Then allow to cool.
- After the mixture is cooled, remove the star anise and transfer the mixture into glass containers.
- Cool in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with some mint leaves if you like. Serve and enjoy!
This article was written by Chia.
I’m a freelance translator with background in biology. Upon meeting my future husband in Spain, I moved to Hong Kong to start our lives together. I’m still exploring what Hong Kong has got to offer
You may also like:
Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or subscribe below for more knowledge about spices.