When I was working in Yokohama, Japan, I would sometimes go to a nearby Chinese restaurant for lunch. Sometimes alone. Sometimes with my colleagues. They had a lunch set which changed on a weekly basis. But there was always annin tofu for desserts. And I liked it very much. There are instant mix available in a supermarket for annin tofu, but ones you make at your home are a lot creamier. The sweet flavor of star anise will linger in your mouth.
Tips: This recipe involves two processes: (1) Make milk tofu; (2) Make star anise syrup. It is best to start making the syrup after the milk tofu is ready.
Recipe: Annin Tofu
♠ For Milk Tofu ♠
- 10g gelatin powder
- 200ml water
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 400ml whole milk
- 1 tablespoon almond essence
♠ For Star Anise Syrup ♠
- 2 star anise
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 200ml hot water
- (Optional) Goji berries or mint for decoration
♠ To make milk tofu ♠
- In a small cup, add 3 tablespoon water to the gelatin powder and set aside.
- In a cooking pot, combine the water and the sugar. Cook over low heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat and add the gelatin you made. Stir well to mix, then allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add the milk and the almond essence, and stir well.
- Pour into annin tofu containers or any containers you like to use. I usually just use a bowl I use to serve rice.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and cool until the milk tofu solidifies.
♠ To make star anise syrup ♠
- When the milk tofu has solidified, combine all ingredients for the star anise syrup in a cooking pot except goji berries and mint. Cook over medium fire.
- Turn off the heat once it boils. Pour the star anise syrup over the milk tofu you just made.
- Decorate with goji berries, mint leaves or any topping you fancy. Serve and enjoy the sweet aroma!
This article was written by Chia.
I’m a freelance translator with background in biology. Upon meeting my future husband in Spain, I moved to Hong Kong to start our lives together. I’m still exploring what Hong Kong has got to offer
You may also like:
Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or subscribe below for more knowledge about spices.