It’s that time of year when pickles seem so attractive to eat. Put some in burgers, wraps and sandwiches, just eat them on the side as a snack, or use to top a salad or pasta. It’s a great way to get in some fun textures, flavours and a lot of nutrients! Here’s how you can make your own homemade pickles using whatever you have on hand, plus some staple spices.
Recipe: Homemade pickles
4-5 thinly sliced cucumbers
1 sliced bell pepper
1 thinly sliced carrot
1 thinly sliced celery
1 diced onion
(optionally add or substitute any of the above with other vegetables you have on hand and want to pickle, such as jalapeños, pumpkins, grapes, pineapple, cauliflower, eggplant, cabbage, brussel sprouts, okra)
Cold water enough to cover the vegetables
20g coarse salt
15g Celery Seeds
15g Yellow Mustard Seeds
5g Coriander Seeds
5g Dill Seeds
1 Cinnamon (Cassia) Stick, broken into small pieces
(You can optionally also add or substitute with a few grams of star anise pieces, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom for flavour… it’s all up to you!)
1. Mix the cucumbers, bell pepper, carrot, celery, onion, salt and water in a bowl. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
2. Drain out the water and keep the vegetables aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, mix the vinegar, sugar and all the spices.
4. Heat on a medium heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool down.
5. Now pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables, preferably in a jar so that all the vegetables are fully covered by vinegar.
6. Cover and refrigerate. You can store and use it for a few months!
You may also like:
Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or subscribe below for more knowledge about spices.